June 13-16, 2018
The marching percussion camp will focus on developing skills as a battery percussionist using methods that will help each member achieve their fullest potential.
Open to rising freshman through rising seniors in high school, participants will be grouped into similar experience levels (beginning, intermediate, and advanced) to better address the individual needs of each camp attendee. All groups will participate in exercises designed to address a variety of essential skills that will result in a more complete percussionist.
The camp will conclude with a final performance open to parents, family, and friends featuring all ensembles and a concluding performance of the combined Camp Drum Line.
$450 Overnight Camper
$400 Day Camper
All meals are included.
Faculty & Staff
Dr. John Wooton
Director of Percussion Studies, The University of Southern Mississippi
Dr. Paul Garcia–
Director of Bands, North Carolina State University
Drum-Line Instructor, North Carolina State University
Assistant Director of Bands, North Carolina State University
Former Drum Major, 27 Lancers Drum & Bugle Corps
*Students are required to attend all classes, Concerts (special evening events) and dorm floor meetings (over-night campers only). Here is a sample schedule. Specific lessons and session topics are TBA.*
Practical Approach to Rudiments
How to Play like a Section
Pulse & Rhythms (locking into the grove)
Special Event- Performing groups/entertainment
Chuck Wagon (evening snack)
Dorm Floor Meeting
What Should I Bring?
Things to think about when packing for camp:
Raleigh, NC is typically hot during the month of June (avg. high 89*F). All North Carolina State University Residence Halls will have air conditioning for the duration of camp.
- Comfortable clothes and closed-toe shoes for walking around campus
- Light jacket/sweatshirt for cool weather
- Rain gear for inclement weather
- Water bottle
- Personal toiletries
- Alarm clock
- Pens/pencils and notebook
- Towels, washcloth, blanket, sheets for a twin XL bed, pillow & pillowcases
- Lace-up athletic shoes (two pairs recommended) with proper arch support for all sessions, NO SANDALS
- Instrument, case, and carrier marked with your name, address and school. Please bring both a drum stand and carrier if possible
- Stick (extra pair if possible)
- Tuning key- a high tension key if you own one
- Practice pad
- Hand towel for a stand cover
- White stick tape
*Due to the large number of camp participants, please make sure all of your belongings are marked with your name, address, and school.*Ready to register? Click here!